Heres a How-To for that battery of yours!
1) Get some leather from Tandy Leather or your local supplier. We use a heavy top saddle type.
2) Cut your pattern using light poster board or construction paper from your local arts and crafts supply. Leave an additional 1/32 over your battery dimensions.
3) Transfer your pattern to the leather
4) Use an Awl or leather punch to make your thread holes. Use a ruler to mark your holes symmetrically.
5) Lace your preferred stitch pattern. Hint : we start in the top corner, work down, then return back to the top and tie our knots in the top corners.